Motor Vehicle Registration

All transaction will require proof of identification.   The Town of Amherst accepts cash, checks, and debit/credit cards.  There is a 2.99% fee associated with the use of debit/credit cards, paid by the consumer.  Checks can be made payable to the "Town of Amherst."

Initial Purchases
If you recently purchased a 2000 and newer vehicle, you’ll need to present a certificate of origin, a title, or a title application prepared by a NH dealer.  For vehicles 1999 and older, a bill of sale is required along with a previously issued current or expired New Hampshire registration, a valid New Hampshire or out-of-state title, or a completed Verification of VIN Form 19A (available online or at the Town Clerk’s office).  Both the NH or out-of-state title must have completed transfer of ownership on the back. 
You are able to renew your car registrations online, in person, or by mail.  Click here to renew your motor vehicle registration online.
If you wish to transfer your current NH license plates you must present your existing registration.  If you cannot produce the registration, a duplicate registration may be printed for $18.  License plates are solely owned by the first person listed on the registration and can only be transferred and any credit applied to a registration that reflects the same individual as the first person on the registration.
New Residents
New residents to the State of New Hampshire are required to register their vehicles and obtain a New Hampshire driver’s license within sixty (60) days.
In order to register your vehicles, please bring the following with you:
  • Proof of Amherst residency such as a lease agreement or utility bill
  • Current out-of-state registration and original title if you hold the title to your vehicle. If you do not hold the title to your vehicle, we will need the full name and address of the lien holder and/or leasing company. 
Additional Plate Types
Vanity Plates - If you’d like to check the availability of a vanity plate, please click here. You’re welcome to print an application online and bring it with you to the Town Clerk’s office. 
For information regarding Moose Plates, please click here.
For information regarding State Park Plates, please click here.
For information regarding Decal Plates, please click here.

For additional information regarding Motor Vehicle Registration, please visit the State website Title XXI Motor Vehicles.